Dear Brothers and Sisters: Asalamalykoom.
Regarding: "The Canadian Islamic Congress is appealing for your Zakah
money in support of our many projects Fe-Sabell-Allah (for Allah's cause).
This appeal has been endorsed by several leading Canadian Imams, as follows:
"I know of the many important projects of the Canadian Islamic Congress which
are greatly benefiting Canadian Muslims. According to Shari'a (Islamic Law),
CIC projects qualify for Zakah money under the category of Fe-Sabell-Allah."
- Imam Dr. Gamal Solaiman, Imam of the Ottawa Mosque, Ottawa, Ontario
- Imam Hamid Slimi, Imam of IMO Mosque, Toronto, Ontario
- Imam Jamal Taleb, Imam of the London Mosque, London, Ontario
This is based on Ibn Alqafal Ijtihad .
Ibn Alqafal and others like Mufti Shaltoot of Egypt do believe (FI SABEEL
Illah) is a general statement for any good toward Muslims.
Sakr also gave the following examples:
- for the employment of a Daiyah, Imam, or religious teachers to do Dawa
- building Islamic schools
- building Muslim clinics and hospitals
- providing money to young men who want to marry but cannot afford Mahr
- to assist poor travelers
- to establish water springs on streets for those walking or travelers
(please note, these last three things were done by Khalifa Umar ibn Abdul Aziz)
- to defend Muslims who are under attack
- For television, radio or newspaper project aimed at doing Dawa
- to help someone publish a book for Dawa
- to pay for the studies of a student..
There are a number of jurists of this century, such as Muhammad ‘Abduh, Rashid Rida,
Maulana Mawdudi, Amin Ahsan Islahi, Yusuf al-Qaradawi and some Fatwa organizations
are of the opinion that “in the cause of Allah (fi Sabil Allah)” is a broad category
and it should be applied in all those situations where there is a need to serve
Islam and Muslims. These scholars consider it permissible to use the Zakat money
to finance the da’wah and public welfare programs. They say that the expression “for
the poor and needy” can also mean “for the benefit of the poor and needy”.
Imam of London Muslim Mosque